Saturday 18 August 2012

nathan - 4 weeks


Today Nathan turned 4 weeks and wow have the last 4 weeks been insane. I'm not going to lie and say it has been easy because it hasn't. I have had to get used to less sleep, less independence, and raging hormones. In addition I have been recovering from a horrible delivery so it has been a rough ride. I think I have cried everyday so far at least once, but each day seems to get slightly better and when Nathan smiled for the first time a couple days ago it all of a sudden made all the stress and craziness seem worthwhile.

Nathan weighed 8 lbs 1 oz on Wednesday so he is gaining weight well. Considering I am exclusively breastfeeding this is very reassuring. The breastfeeding is difficult mainly because I am the only person who can do a feed so can't get any assistance from my husband. There have been moments where I wanted to throw in the towel and start formula, but something inside me has forced me to persist with the breastfeeding. Hopefully it will get easier as Nathan's tummy gets bigger. Currently Nathan is sleeping at most about 2.5 or 3 hour stretches throughout the night. This means I am up at least 3 times during the night and it's exhausting! I am going to set myself a goal of breastfeeding for 6 weeks and then see how we are going. 

I have still been meeting up with my antenatal group and it has been great to be able to vent and speak about any issues we are having informally. All the new mum's seem to be struggling with one thing or another, and it's really comforting to know I'm not alone in trying to figure out this motherhood thing. 




4 comments:

  1. Oh what a gorgeous smile! Well done on exclusively breastfeeding. I BF'd both mine and it was the hardest thing I have ever done but my proudest achievement. It does get easier after 6 weeks so just take it day by day xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous little boy! I agree with Debra if you make through the first 6 weeks bf'ing, it gets a lot easier. Great job, just take each day, or hour ;) as it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's adorable! Well done for persisting with bf'ing, it really does get easier & is such an amazing experience! :) Plus, think of all the money you're saving! Haha! Oh those little smiles never get old, I spend most of my day trying to make Joshua smile, unless he's asleep!! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is just gorgeous!!

    The sleep deprivation is certainly hard. We are topping Monkey up with formula now but C still has him through the night and it's tough going. It's all totally worth it though. :)

    ReplyDelete